What is Premature Ejaculation?
Premature ejaculation or climax is sexual dysfunction in which a man ejaculates sooner than his or his partner's expectation. This is a common problem and about 1 in 3 men aged between 18 to 59 years, experience premature ejaculation at some point in their lifetime.
Symptoms of Premature Ejaculation
The major symptom of premature ejaculation is a man's inability to last his erection and continue with the intercourse. Climaxing sooner than expected a few times is nothing to worry about. But if it happens regularly and one ejaculates under a minute then it is the clear symptoms of premature ejaculation. This problem can even occur during masturbation in some men.
Causes of Premature Ejaculation
The real cause of premature ejaculation is still unknown. Doctors believe that there are certain emotional and biological factors involved in causing this condition:
- Anxiety about performing sexually
- Relationship issues
- Abnormal levels of sex hormones
- Inflammation of prostate or urethra
- Side-effects of medicines
Diagnosis of Premature Ejaculation
For proper diagnosis, the doctors may follow the below given steps:
- Check the medical history
- Ask questions regarding the patient's sexual performance
- Physical examination
- Order blood tests to check the testosterone or other hormones
Treatment for Premature Ejaculation
The doctor may suggest one or a combination of the below-given treatment methods:
- Masturbate an hour before sexual intercourse
- Start-and-stop method
- Squeeze method
- Pelvic floor exercise to strengthen the pelvic muscles
- Use numbing agents to decrease sensitivity
Premature ejaculation can cause a lot of strain and anxiety in one's relationship. Men living with this condition may feel less confident and embarrassed for not satisfying their partner sexually. It is always best to talk with the partner openly about it and find other ways to connect with them through non-sexual activities while taking proper treatment methods.