Female Hormonal Problems and Causes
Hormones play a key role in maintaining the health of a female body as they take care of some of the vital functions such as preserving body temperature, controlling metabolism, fertility and aiding in growth and development of the organs. Some of the most significant hormones that control reproduction and menstruation in a woman include estrogen, progesterone, luteinising hormone, and follicle-stimulating hormone. Any imbalance in these affects the health of the woman.
Causes and Types of Hormonal Imbalance
Women today frequently fall victim to hormonal imbalance issues. They experience this issue during puberty, menstruation, pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, perimenopause, menopause, and post menopause. The main reasons for hormonal problems in women are due to:
- Unhealthy diet
- Sleeping issues
- Thyroid imbalance
- Lack of exercise
Frequent indulgence in fast food, soda, and high-sugar or cholesterol containing food items can alter the menstrual cycle significantly and lead to some of these female hormonal problems:
- Premenstrual syndrome - It is a condition that affects a woman's emotions, behaviour, and physical health, generally before her monthly period.
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome - This is a more severe condition in women of reproductive age identified by prolonged or infrequent periods, increased androgen levels, or the presence of follicles in the ovaries that causes issues in ovulation.
- Infertility - It is the inability of a woman to conceive even after unprotected sexual intercourse, and is caused majorly due to hormonal imbalance.
- Estrogen or Estrogen Deficiency and Hypogonadism- As the name suggests, when the female body does not produce enough estrogen this leads to estrogen deficiency, and when there is an imbalance in the production of luteinising hormone and follicle-stimulating hormone, it causes hypogonadism.
Symptoms of Hormonal Imbalance
Common symptoms found in women are:
- Sudden weight loss or weight gain
- Reduced sex drive
- Irregular menstrual cycle or heavy flow
- Anxiety and irritability
How to Overcome Hormonal Imbalance?
A woman can overcome hormonal imbalances by following these methods:
- Proper Diet - Avoiding foods that are rich in fats and carbohydrates, caffeine, sugar, or processed foods, and switching over to iron-rich green vegetables, fibers, proteins, limited levels of carbohydrates, and oats to have a fit body and deal with hormonal imbalance.
- Regular Exercise and Sunshine - Regular exercise and exposure to the sun (which actually stimulates hormone production) helps improve hormone balance and keep the body fit.
- Decreasing Synthetic Estrogen Levels - Frequent intake of birth control pills, synthetic hormone supplements, and meat or dairy products containing hormones is a major cause for female hormonal problems, and avoiding the same helps to prevent such issues.
Although the above-mentioned methods help maintain a proper hormone balance in a woman, it is important to consult a gynaecologist and take appropriate treatment.
How severe PCOS can lead to infertility?Know More
What is Hydrosalpinx Removal?Know More
How does prolactin may impact fertility?Know More