What Are the Risks of A Vaginismus?
Vaginismus is a condition where women are unable to support vaginal penetration of any sorts, whether for pleasure, menstrual period, or gynecological tests. The vaginal muscles experience uncontrollable and involuntary spasms that makes vaginal penetration difficult for women. This condition may be found in women since childhood, or in the adult age after they have experienced sexual function, where this condition develops because of some infection, Psychological reasons,. Although this condition does not affect every female, there are many complications or risks involved when diagnosed with vaginismus.
Risks of Vaginismus
Vaginismus can cause a lot of complications in women who are diagnosed with it. It can lead to physical and emotional distress in women, since they are either sexually unsatisfied or might experience difficulty in getting pregnant. Following are the commonly known complications caused by vaginismus:
- Emotional and psychological distress: Often, the inability to support vaginal penetration makes a woman emotionally and psychologically drained out. This leads to poor self-esteem and insecurity among women.
- Dyspareunia: It is a condition of painful or difficult sexual intercourse experienced by a woman. Lack of arousal or poor lubrication caused by pelvic inflammatory disease or endometriosis can be one reason, and vaginismus can be another major reason for dyspareunia.
- Stress: Vaginismus can make a woman completely stressed out because she constantly feels guilty about not being able to have a fulfilling sexual life. The stress further causes hormonal imbalance (for example, a drop in estrogen levels) and may also affect vaginal lubrication due to which vaginal penetration becomes difficult.
- Depression and relationship issues: Vaginismus makes it difficult for women to enjoy sexual intercourse with her partner. Also, the man is not sexually satisfied as he is not able to penetrate enough. This leads to depression and issues in the relationship since both partners are unable to feel physically intimate and often abstain from intercourse.
- Infertility: Vaginismus can also lead to infertility which is a condition where women are unable to bear a child. If diagnosed with infertility, women can consult reproductive consultant for further options.
The complications caused by vaginismus can be avoided by taking appropriate treatment for the same. Consulting doctors and counselors for treatment and therapy can help women lead a normal life like their peers.