What are the Treatments for High Estrogen in Women?
The side-effects of high estrogen or estrogen dominance in one's body vary from person to person. To manage estrogen dominance, a doctor creates a treatment plan in accordance with the developed signs and symptoms.
Below are some of the treatments for high estrogen in females:
One should always consider these prevention techniques to maintain a proper estrogen balance along with medication.
- Changing food habits: Switching to organic food that includes fruits, vegetables, conventional meat, and dairy products can help you manage the estrogen levels to a great extent. Cruciferous vegetables, mushrooms, flax seeds, red grapes, etc. are known to reduce the estrogen level in our body.
- Drinking Clean water: Always drink filtered and pollutant-free water. Investing in a high-quality water filter that eliminates the toxins and endocrine disrupting compounds from the water will help us in the long run.
- Lose weight: By following a strict diet and exercise regimen, losing that unwanted fat from the body is certainly possible. A healthy body mass index lowers the risk of other health issues.
- Get rid of toxic cosmetics and other body products: Choose the chemical-free range of products for your body care regimen.
- Contraceptives: Steer clear of hormonal birth control options. Discuss with your healthcare practitioner regarding the other options of contraceptives.
- Stay away from plastics: Storing food in plastics can be dangerous as it contains endocrine disrupting compounds that create an imbalance in the estrogen levels
- Detoxification: To get rid of all the toxins accumulated in our body one should try detoxifying methods once in a while. There are certain natural detoxifying herbs such as dandelion root tea, dandelion greens, milk thistle etc. Doctors can prescribe detoxifying supplements such as calcium d-glucarate and glutathione.
- De-stressing activities: Relieve your stress with yoga, meditation, and adequate sleep. These activities help in releasing more progesterone and thus calming ourselves.
Medications used for certain treatment can affect the production of estrogen in our body.
- During hormone therapy: If one is undergoing hormone replacement therapy, then the estrogen hormone raises high in their body. In such cases, the doctor can change the hormone therapy plan so that you may find relief from the HRT symptoms and regain a better hormonal balance.
- During cancer treatment: Certain type of cancers, increase the estrogen to such adverse levels, causing a lot of health issues and even worsening the cancer symptoms. Medications will be prescribed in such a situation that helps in blocking the cancer cells from producing estrogen any further.
- Other medications: There are medications available that can reduce the amount of estrogen in our body. Aromatase inhibitors such as anastrozole, exemestane, letrozole etc. stops the enzyme aromatase from converting androgens into estrogen. Also, certain medications like Zoladex and leuprolide stop the ovary from producing estrogen.
- Surgery: If one is affected by ovarian or breast cancer, then the estrogen level in their body remains high and worsens their health condition. In such a situation, the doctor may recommend an oophorectomy or a surgery to remove their ovaries which could reduce the amount of estrogen in their body.