While majority of the population is aware of Menopause which affects women between the age of 45 and 55, many people are unaware of a similar condition in men of the same age - Andropause. It is the male counterpart of menopause. It is a condition in which men suffer from a decrease in the male sex hormone, testosterone.
For men who go through this condition, the decrease in levels of testosterone and symptoms are gradual in comparison to women who go through menopause. Once men reach their 50s, 30% begin to experience symptoms of Andropause and once men reach their 80s, cases reach an alarming rate of 90%.
Symptoms of Andropause
Men suffering from Andropause experience an array of symptoms but not all symptoms are common for every man. The typical symptoms include:
- Irritable mood
- Low energy level and endurance
- Low sex drive
- Difficulties getting erections
- Increase in body fat
- Hot flushes
Andropause also makes men vulnerable to other health conditions and problems such as heart ailments and osteoporosis.
Reasons for Andropause
- The decrease in testosterone production is a defining reason for Andropause
- Increase in age with an onset from the age of 40
- Increased production of the hormone known as SHBG (Sex Hormone Binding Globulin).This hormone decreases the free and active testosterone the blood
How to Treat Andropause?
Replacing testosterone in the blood is the most common treatment which can be done in the following ways:
- Skin patches:People who wear a testosterone patch receive the hormone through the skin.
- Testosterone Gel:To be applied directly to the skin, typically on the arms and must be washed from hands after every use to avoid transferring to others.
- Capsules: To be taken twice daily after meals but men suffering from other serious health conditions such as heart disease must abstain from using these capsules.
- Lifestyle Changes: exercise, good nutrition and stress reduction also help in treatment.
Get Treatment for Male Infertility, Make an Appointment Today
Looking to consult a Fertility Specialist? Call for an appointment or visit your nearest Nova IVF Fertility Centre. Consult with India’s finest Fertility & Reproductive Medicine Specialists.