What is the percentage of infertile couples in different age groups?
Infertility is a hidden struggle for many couples all over the world. This is one such stressful condition that affects men and women of all age groups. Age has been an important factor in determining the cause of infertility in a couple. The risk of infertility increases with age.
A woman is born with around 1 million egg cells. By the time she hits puberty, it reduces to approximately 300,000. Studies have found that a woman in her fertile years tends to lose around a thousand eggs per month. Her fertility takes a steep decline especially after the age of 35.
While in men, the quality of sperm seems to decrease with age. Research says that majority of men above the age of 40 find it difficult to conceive a child due to lack of healthy sperms.
Infertile Couples of Different Age Groups Women
In India, studies have been conducted on infertile couples of different age groups to determine the effect of age on their infertility. The statistics show that the percentage of infertility was estimated:
- 18% in women aged between 20- 24 years
- 21% in women aged between 25-29 years
- 18% in women aged between 30-34 years
- 15 % in women aged between 35-39 years
- 12 % in women aged between 40-44 years
- 6% in women aged between 45-49 years
Infertile Couples of Different Age Groups Men
A father's age too can affect the chance of a couple getting pregnant. Below given are the percentages of male infertility in different age groups:
- 16% in men aged between 25-29 years
- 3% in men aged between 30-34 years
- 8 % in men aged between 35-39 years
- 14 % in men aged between 40-44 years
- 13% in men aged between 45-49 years
- 8% in men aged between 50-54 years
How long does it take for the embryo to implant in the uterus?Know More
How much does it cost to get your eggs frozen?Know More
How Many Days After Egg Retrieval Is Embryo Transferred?Know More