Oligospermia is defined as a condition with low sperm count. If a man's sperm count is lower than 15 million sperms per millilitre of semen, then he should be diagnosed with oligospermia. This condition can affect a man's fertility by decreasing the odds of impregnating his female partner easily. Nevertheless, there had been many such cases where men with low sperm counts have successfully fertilised their partner's egg. Also, men with oligospermia, if given proper medication and/or treatment can successfully father a child.
Symptoms of Oligospermia
For some men, there are no obvious signs and symptoms of oligospermia seen. Only when they find difficulty in conceiving a child, this medical condition gets diagnosed. But if a man has oligospermia due to other underlying issues like chromosomal abnormalities, hormonal imbalance or any obstruction, then certain signs and symptoms may occur. Let's take a look at the symptoms of oligospermia as given below:
- Swelling, pain, or lump in testis.
- Sexual functioning issues like the inability to maintain an erection during sexual intercourse or erectile dysfunction.
- Low facial and body hair growth and other signs of chromosomal abnormalities and hormonal imbalances.
- Thick discharge.
- Enlarged and swollen veins in the scrotum.
- If this problem happens due to transmission of a virus, then one can experience some burning sensation while urinating.
When to See a Doctor
If one finds any of the above-given symptoms, then seeking help from a fertility expert as early as possible is the best option here. He/She would further diagnose the condition and provide the treatment accordingly.
Get Treatment for Male Infertility, Make an Appointment Today
Looking to consult a Fertility Specialist? Call for an appointment or visit your nearest Nova IVF Fertility Centre. Consult with India’s finest Fertility & Reproductive Medicine Specialists.