Infertility, as is known, is the inability of a woman to conceive after 1 year of unprotected intercourse. In such cases, doctors conduct a wide range of fertility tests in order to understand the exact reason behind such a condition.
Doctors perform the following tests in women having problems of infertility:
- Thorough understanding of the medical and sexual history of the person
- Physical examination
- Examination of women's ovaries and their ovulation pattern
- Conducting hysterosalpingogram, an X-ray of the uterus and fallopian tubes of women to check whether they are normal
- Semen Analysis for husband
If the doctors fail to detect the reason for infertility even after conducting all these tests, such a condition is called unexplained infertility in women. The doctors use their experience and expertise to diagnose this type of infertility.
Causes of Idiopathic Infertility
The main causes for this unexplained, also known as idiopathic infertility are given below:
- Ovum is not released at the appropriate time of fertilization
- Egg fails to reach the fallopian tube
- Sperm is unable to reach the egg for fertilization
- Zygote does not reach the uterus
- The problem in implantation of zygote
Idiopathic infertility is found in 30% of women. A thorough assessment of ovulation helps the doctor to identify this type of infertility. The menstrual abnormalities are investigated for hyperprolactinemia, thyroid disease, and polycystic ovarian syndrome.
Also, ovulation is assessed using urinary luteinizing hormone (LH) ovulation predictor kits, endometrial biopsy for endometrial growths, basal body temperature (BBT) recordings, and mid-luteal serum progesterone testing.
Another way of zeroing onto idiopathic infertility involves assessing the ovarian reserve. Aged women with a prior history of ovarian surgery can be at risk of a lower ovarian reserve, which can cause infertility.
Doctors also investigate the uterus contour and fallopian tubes of women using the hysterosalpingography method to check whether the uterus, cul-de-sac and fallopian tubes are in good condition.
Get Treatment for Understanding Fertility, Make an Appointment Today
Looking to consult a Fertility Specialist? Call for an appointment or visit your nearest Nova IVF Fertility Centre. Consult with India’s finest Fertility & Reproductive Medicine Specialists.